This recipe was included in the Fight Back Fridays post on Food Renegade, check it out for other great recipes!
All Natural Crunchy Cinnamon and Vanilla Granola
(makes about 2 quarts)
1 c. raw almonds (all nuts and seeds should be raw, don't dehydrate beforehand)
1 c. raw walnuts
1/2 c. raw hazelnuts
1/2 c. raw pecans
1/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp coconut oil
3/4 c. honey
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
1 3/4 tsp sea salt (divided)
1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
Optional mix-ins: 1/2 c. raisins, chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips), or other dried fruit.
1. Combine the first four ingredients (all four types of nuts) in a large bowl. Cover with water and mix in 1 tsp of sea salt. Cover and place on the counter overnight, or about 8 hours.
2. Place sunflower seeds in another small bowl, cover with water and mix in a sprinkle of sea salt. Cover and place on the counter as well.
4. Place nuts in a large food processor. Pulse nuts until they resemble the size of oats.
4. Melt the coconut oil and mix in honey and vanilla until well combined. Add to the food processor along with the cinnamon and 3/4 tsp sea salt. Pulse until combined.
5. Stir in shredded coconut, if desired. Line three dehydrator trays with parchment paper or a non-stick dehydrator drying sheet.
6. Spread the oats in a thin layer on the dehydrator trays. Place in the dehydrator and set the dehydrator to 120 degrees for about 24 hours. Flip the granola once or twice during the cooking period.
7. Allow to cool and then stir in your choice of mix-ins, if desired. Raisins or mini chocolate chips work well. Store in air-tight containers in the refrigerator.