1 whole (pasture-raised) chicken - 4 to 6 lbs., thawed
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, cut in a few large chunks
3 garlic cubes, peeled
4 Tbsp (grass-fed) butter, melted
Salt, to taste
A few lemon slices
A few sprigs of herbs (oregano, tarragon, etc)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove neck and gizzards from chicken (set aside for bone broth, if desired). Rinse chicken well and pat dry.
2. Slice the onion and cut the carrots into a few large chunks. Place the sliced onion and carrots on top of the rack in the roasting pan (where the chicken will sit).
3. Salt the cavity of the chicken and put lemon slices and herbs inside (I used tarragon). Melt 3 Tbsp butter and baste the top of the chicken with 1/2 of the butter. Salt the top of the chicken generously. Place the chicken, top side down on top of the onion and carrots.
4. Baste the other half of the butter on the underside of the chicken and salt it. Place the garlic cubes around the chicken.
5. Bake the chicken at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Melt the remaining 1 Tbsp butter. Flip the chicken over and paste with the 1 Tbsp butter.
6. Continue baking the chicken for another 30 minutes - 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer registers at least 165 degrees. Let cool & enjoy!!