These turkey burgers will only take about 10 minutes to mix up and form and take about 15 minutes on the grill. Serve them with some Guacamole and/or some grilled veggies. We grilled some broccolini from our Green Bean Delivery. I also served this with some Berries and Homemade Whipped Cream Parfaits (with berries I got from the Farmer's Market!) for dessert. Hope you try these burgers for your next cookout!
Spicy Turkey Burgers
(serves 4 - makes about 4 burgers)
1 lb. ground turkey (free-range)
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 c. fresh parsley and/or cilantro, chopped
Salt, to taste
Swiss cheese (organic and/or raw preferred)
Whole wheat hamburger/sandwich bun
Toppings (optional): mayonnaise, spicy mustard, ketchup, steak sauce, avocado mayo, sliced jalapenos, lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.
1. Set out (thawed) ground turkey for about 20 minutes beforehand to bring it to room temperature.
2. Preheat grill to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, chop up onion, jalapeno, and fresh parsley.
3. Combine ground turkey, onion, chopped jalapeno, parsley, garlic and remaining dried herbs (except salt) in a large bowl and mix well.
4. Using your hands, form into large (but flat) patties - should make around 4. You don't want the patties to be too fat, just a nice thin, large patty because they will get smaller as they cook (form to about 4-5" in diameter).
5. Once the patties are formed, sprinkle each with a little bit of sea salt. Place the patties on the grill, evenly spread out and close the lid.
6. Do not disturb patties for approximately 7 minutes (making sure heat stays around 350 degrees). Flip the burgers and cook another 5 minutes. Add Swiss cheese (or other cheese of your choice) to the top of the burgers and let cook an additional 2 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
7. Take burgers off the grill and allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Serve the turkey burgers on a whole grain bun and add the topping of your choosing. I topped mine with a little mayonnaise, spicy mustard, fresh sliced jalapenos, lettuce, and tomato. My husband topped his with A1 sauce, mayonnaise, slice jalapenos, and lettuce.