This recipe was adapted from Clean Eating Magazine. It is a very flavorful chicken enchilada without all the extra fat of most Chicken Enchilada recipes.
Clean Chicken Enchiladas
1 lb. chicken
2 Tbsp (pasture-raised) butter
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/4 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 oz. green chilies
1 tsp hot sauce
15 oz. (low sodium) tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or black pepper)
4 large whole wheat tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in the microwave (30 seconds - 1 minute). Mix together cumin, 1 1/4 Tbsp chili powder, garlic powder, and sea salt.
2. Drizzle both sides of the chicken with butter and sprinkle with seasonings.
3. Place chicken in a casserole dish and cook in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
4. Shred or cut chicken into small cubes. Combine chicken, hot sauce, and green chilies in a medium skillet. Cook on medium until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove mixture and set aside.
5. Put tomato sauce, garlic, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, crushed red pepper (or black pepper), and more hot sauce, if desired, in the same skillet. Heat on medium heat until heated through, about 8-10 minutes.
6. Put a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish. Build the enchiladas with 1/4 of the chicken mixture and a sprinkle of cheese in each. Tuck in the sides of the tortilla and roll it up and place in the casserole dish.
7. After placing all enchiladas in the casserole dish, spoon the remaining tomato sauce over top and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.