This recipe is adapted from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook. It is a great dessert for a special occasion or anytime! You won't feel guilty after eating this creamy, delicious dessert! Enjoy!
Creamy Paleo Banana Pudding
1-14.5oz can of coconut milk
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp coconut butter (see below for making coconut butter from shredded coconut)
3 ripe bananas
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Sliced banana, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts for topping
1. Whisk together coconut milk, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a small saucepan over medium heat, until sauce begins to thicken, stirring constantly (takes about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat.
2. If you don't have coconut butter, you can make it using shredded coconut: Take at least 5 c. shredded coconut and place in a vitamix or high-powered blender. Using the tamp, turn on high and continue to push down the coconut to mix well. After about 2-3 minutes, the coconut will be nice and creamy and pourable. Store in a jar at room temperature.
3. In a small skillet, melt coconut oil and coconut butter over medium heat.
4. Mash the bananas with a fork and add to the skillet with the cinnamon. Stir and heat the banana until it becomes slightly caramelized.
5. Pour both mixtures into a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour banana pudding into a bowl or pie plate. Cover with saran wrap and press down on to top of pudding to prevent a skin from forming on top. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
7. When ready to serve, top with sliced banana, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts.