Monday, September 2, 2013

Amazing Grain-Free Granola

This recipe is adapted from The Urban Poser and was shared with me by my sister-in-law Brittany.  I absolutely love this granola and it is great with milk, yogurt, or how I usually eat it, just by itself.  It has tons of nourishing nuts and seeds in it.  I hope you try it!

Note: with each of the nuts and seeds I explain that I soak and dehydrate them first. This isn't necessary but does help with digestibility, so I always do this with my nuts after I buy them at the store and keep them on-hand already soaked and dehydrated.  Visit my post here to see the method I use.

Amazing Grain-Free Granola
(makes about 2 quarts)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. raw walnuts (I soak and dehydrate mine first)
1 1/2 c. raw cashews (I soak and dehydrate mine first)
1 c. raw pecans (I soak and dehydrate mine first)
1/2 c. sunflower seeds (I soak and dehydrate mine first)
1/4 c. raisins
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 medium-sized bananas
1/4 c. raw honey
1/4 c. coconut oil
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
Optional: 1/2 c. Banana chips & 1/4 c. mini chocolate Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Add 1/2 c. walnuts, 3/4 c. cashews, 1/2 c. pecans, and 1/4 c. sunflower seeds to a food processor.  Pulse a few times to chop, but don't make them too small (I like the consistency a little bit larger than shown in the picture below).


2. Take another 1/2 c. walnuts, 3/4 c. cashews, 1/2 c. pecans, and 1/4 c. sunflower seeds and lay out on a cutting board and coarsely chop them.  Combine the two nut mixtures together in a large bowl.



3. Add in the raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the bowl and toss to combine.


4. In the food processor, add in the bananas, honey, coconut oil, water, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.

5. Fold the banana mixture into the nut mixture until everything is well coated.




6. Spread out on a cookie sheet in a thin layer and cook in a 225 degree oven for about an hour.  Note: the mixture will continue to crisp up a little bit as it cools.


7. After everything has cooled down, mix in the banana chips, 1/2 c. raw walnuts, and 1/4 c. mini chocolate chips, if desired.  We like to keep ours in two quart-sized mason jars and store them in the refrigerator.



8. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment