Baked Chicken and Asparagus Casserole
1 c. uncooked wild rice
2 1/2 c. water
1 tsp organic butter
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 can (or small carton - about 16 oz) of cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. water
1 bunch of asparagus (about 24)
4 oz. organic Monterery-Jack cheese, shredded
1. Cook rice according to package directions, or mix together rice, 2 1/2 c. water, 1/4 tsp salt, & 1 tsp butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once the mixture begins boiling, cover with a lid and drop the heat down to low. Allow to simmer for 40-45 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add rice to the bottom of a 9x13" casserole dish.
3. Clean and cut the ends off the asparagus spears (about 1" off the end). Add the asparagus to the casserole dish, on top of the rice, arranging lengthwise.
4. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken on top of the asparagus spears in the casserole dish.
5. Whisk together the 1/2 c. water and soup in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over top of the chicken in the casserole dish.
6. Finally, sprinkle the cheese over top of everything.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Enjoy!! :) I served this with Sweet Potato Fries (see recipe here) and Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies (see recipe here) for dessert!