This dish is super easy and fast to make; the whole family will love it! Coconut has a countless number of health benefits, check out this article for more information: Benefits of Coconut Oil. You will see in the article, Dr. Mercola explains why he uses coconut oil for cooking and why extra virgin olive oil loses some of its health benefits through heating..interesting read! Anyway, I hope you try these coconut chicken fingers soon :)!
Coconut Chicken Fingers
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenders (or boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into tender size)
1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 c. whole grain breadcrumbs
splash of coconut milk (or regular milk)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1. In a small bowl, crack the egg and add in a splash of coconut milk and whisk or beat the egg with a fork.
2. In a separate shallow bowl or plate, combine the shredded coconut, breadcrumbs, salt, & pepper and mix to evenly distribute.
3. Dip the chicken tenders one at a time in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture, coating the chicken.
4. Melt 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough, add the chicken tenders.
5. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes per side, or until browned on the outside and cooked through. Add the other Tbsp of coconut oil if needed. Note: you may need to brown the chicken in two batches.
6. Line a plate with a couple layers of paper towels and let the chicken rest on the paper towels to drain off some of the excess oil for a few minutes. Enjoy! I am serving these with sweet potatoes and asparagus, but I would suggest any kind of vegetables on the side and maybe a side salad or healthy starch. We like to dip ours in a little bit of sweet & sour sauce (sweet chili sauce).