Beef, Broccoli, and Cheese Casserole
1 c. uncooked brown rice
2 c. water
1/2 Tbsp butter
1 lb. grass-fed (local and/or organic) ground beef
1 medium onion - chopped
1/2 c. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c. bell peppers - chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 c. fresh or frozen broccoli
2 c. cheddar cheese - shredded
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1. Begin by cooking the rice per the package instructions or add the rice and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it begins boiling, drop the heat down to low and put a lid on the saucepan (to simmer). Simmer on low for about 40 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the water.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop up the onions, peppers, and garlic and slice the mushrooms.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Cook the beef, onions, peppers, garlic, and mushrooms until the beef is no longer pink.
4. If there is any grease left in the skillet, drain it out with a spoon. Stir in the cooked rice, broccoli, sea salt, and cheddar cheese, until combined.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, uncovered. Enjoy!!