2 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp olive oil
Garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 jalapeno, seeded & minced
1/4 c. fresh chopped cilantro (or 1 Tbsp dried cilantro)
1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I bought thin chicken breasts to save time)
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil (or other high smoke point oil)
1 large onion (sliced)
3 bell peppers (various colors), sliced
Optional: salsa, avocado, lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese
1. Cut chicken to 1/2" - 3/4" thickness (I bought thin chicken so I skipped this step).
2. Mix all marinade ingredients together. Put marinade in a large plastic ziploc bag and add chicken. Take all the air out of the bag and move marinade around in the bag so it coats chicken. Put ziploc bag in a bowl (to prevent leakage) and place on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour.
3. Slice onion in half and then thinly slice onion. Wash and remove seeds from peppers and slice.
5. Heat a cast iron skillet on high (I don't have a cast iron skillet, so I used my dutch oven). Add 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil, until it begins smoking. Add chicken to the pan in a single layer. Do not disturb the chicken for about 2-3 minutes. Turn the chicken over and heat for another 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. You can cut into one piece of chicken, if needed, to check to make sure it is completely cooked.
6. Remove chicken to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest, 5 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heat the other 1 Tbsp of grapeseed oil until it begins smoking. Add peppers and onions, scraping up brown bits from the chicken. Leave for 2 minutes, stir, leave for 2 more minutes, or until tender.
8. Slice the chicken into strips. Heat up the tortilla in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Build your fajita with a tortilla, chicken, onions and peppers, and desired toppings (i.e. sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, salsa, and/or lettuce). I used chicken, onions and peppers, sour cream, and lettuce.