Sweet & Sour Chicken
1/3 c. Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
2 Tbsp raw honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts - chopped into 1" pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1" chunks
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1" chunks
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 1" cubes
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped or 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
1 c. uncooked brown rice (I used brown jasmine rice)
2 c. water
1 Tbsp organic butter (optional)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes. Chop up chicken into about 1" chunks.
2. Place chicken in a large shallow dish or ziploc bag. Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken, tossing gently. Cover or zip up bag (removing air) and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 8 hours.
3. Prepare rice according to package directions or bring 2 c. water to a boil in a medium saucepan. When water begins boiling, add 1 c. rice, stir, cover, and drop the heat down to low (to simmer). Simmer 35-40 minutes, or until all the water has even absorbed and rice is fluffy. Add 1 Tbsp butter, if desired.
4. While rice cooks, chop up peppers in 1" pieces and chop up onion into small pieces.
5. Also while rice cooks, chop up pineapple into 1" pieces. See pictures below for how to cut up a pineapple. Chop off ends of pineapple and then stand upright and cut off skin. Then, cut pineapple around core, discarding the core. Finish by cutting the pieces into about 1" chunks.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken with marinade and sauté for about 7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
6. Add bell peppers and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender.
7. Add pineapple and cook for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately over rice. Enjoy!!
Nutrition Facts: (Sweet & Sour Chicken without rice)
Serving size 1 1/4 cups chicken
Fat: 1.5 g
Carbs: 17 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 13 g
Protein: 21 g
Sodium: 404 mg
Cholesterol: 48 mg