Whole Wheat Pie Crust:
1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 c. cold organic butter
4 Tbsp ice water
Whole Wheat Pie Crust (see recipe above)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
10 oz package of frozen organic spinach (thawed)
2 c. shredded organic cheese (I used monetery jack)
1 c. organic or raw milk
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Begin by preparing the whole wheat pie crust. Blend the flour, salt, and butter (make sure it is very cold) in a food processor or pastry blender until well mixed. Add the water 1 Tbsp at a time until the dough is crumbly.
2. Gather the dough together with your hands and shape into a ball, but don't handle too much.
3. Roll out the dough between wax paper or saran wrap with a rolling pin, until a large circle.
4. Place the dough in a pie pan and press down onto the sides. Trim off any excess dough. Cook crust in a 425 degree oven for 8 minutes.
5. Spread honey mustard in the bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle in spinach and cheese. (Note: if you haven't pre-thawed the spinach, just rinse it under warm water and drain, repeating a couple times until thawed. Then, make sure to dry well with a towel).
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour egg mixture over spinach and cheese.
7. Bake quiche at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 5-10 minutes before slicing.
8. Enjoy!! :)